Founded in 1910, The Peoples Bank has served Kent & Queen Anne’s Counties and the Eastern Shore for over 100 years (and Talbot County starting in 2016). The bank has a consistent history of outstanding service in the form of lending programs, customer satisfaction and involvement in its communities. We are proud of our multi-generation relationships and traditions.  A central part of our plan is to remain an independent community bank for our second millennium and serve our customers, our shareholders and our communities.

The Peoples Bank Mission

Peoples Bank continues to build on the traditions of the past while working through the challenges of the present. Excellent customer service remains our primary touchstone.

Our Core Values: Providing the Best in Customer Service

  • Getting Results: Focusing our hard work, shared commitment and mutual accountability to meet our customer’s needs and in turn, share in the rewards.
  • Communicating Persistently: Promoting open communication and understanding among our employees, our customers and our shareholders. Valuing honesty and communicating with integrity.
  • Being Innovative: Demonstrating creativity, agility and resilience as we develop and provide new products and services for our customers and remaining well-positioned in our markets.
  • Caring for Others: Being actively involved in the communities we serve; showing our dedicated team of employees that we care about them and their families while having FUN in the process.
  • Teamwork: Working together as a team to achieve strategic goals, both at the Board and Organizational level.

Momentsin the History ofThe Peoples Bank

1910

The Peoples Bank of Chestertown, Maryland incorporated

Rock Hall and Betterton Branches opened

1911

1924

First Bank in Kent County to offer Christmas Clubs

PBKC handled the major portion of applications of Kent County Veterans of World War II for G. I. mortgages

1944

1975

Changed name to The Peoples Bank of Kent County, Maryland

Washington Avenue Branch opened

1979

1983

The first bank to offer a Discount Brokerage service in the State

Charter amended to allow PBKC to establish branches beyond Kent County

1985

1987

Galena Branch opened

First drive through ATM in the County

1990

1996

The Board of Directors with the approval of the stockholders formed PEOPLES BANCORP, INC.

At that time, Peoples Bank became a wholly owned subsidiary of PEOPLES BANCORP.

Addition of TELEPHONE BANKING AND PEOPLES BANK VISA DEBIT CARD

1997

1998

Millington Branch opened

Joined forces with INVEST, the nation’s oldest third party marketer of bank financial services

Changed name to THE PEOPLES BANK

2006

2007

Church Hill Branch opened

Purchased FAM&M, a local independent insurance agency

Sudlersville Branch opened

2008

2015

Mobile Banking mobile deposit service initiated

Easton Branch opened

2016

For additional information on the history of The Peoples Bank, click here.

The Peoples Bank has had only six presidents in its history. Dr. H. Benge Simmons, who was the first president, served until his death in 1945; Charles F. Wheatley, Sr., served from 1946 until his death in 1956; A. Parks Rasin, Jr., served from 1957 to 1975; E. Roy Owens, served from 1975 to 2002; and Thomas G. Stevenson served from 2002 to 2012. Ralph W. Dowling assumed the Presidency in 2012. Under the present guidance of Chairperson E. Jean Anthony and President/CEO Dowling, the Bank continues to grow and prosper. Its family of employees continues to respond to the challenges of modern banking with dedication and friendly service.

All of this past history has culminated into the excellent, sound, independent bank we are today. Consistent and steady growth has been accomplished without benefit of mergers. We want to continue to grow and progress with the community. We expect to have the pleasure of accomplishing this with the continued dedication of our employees and continued friendship, confidence and good will of our present customers, and we look forward to serving many new customers.